Followers

Followers

Followers

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Week 2

I know I shouldn't wait until Sunday, but I just submitted my assignment.  I had a chance to meet with my site supervisor earlier this week and we went over a few ideas that I had about possible research topics.  Last week I was adamant about my first topic of choice which was How Bullying Affects the School Climate Socially and Academically.  My site supervisor suggested that I should focus more on data and achievement.  I changed my topic to How Effective Are the Current Academic Interventions That Are Utilized On Campus.  My school district hires math and reading tutors during the school year to work with students who struggle academically.  Students also use researched based computer programs as part of the interventions.  Are these interventions helping our students?  I feel comfortable with this topic and know that I will be able to gain insight on each step associated with the intervention process.  I am excited and a little overwhelmed but I am just going to keep taking it one week at a time.

6 comments:

  1. I think that your direction for the action research paper is great. I often wonder too if the current academic interventions my school has in place are effective and if they are not what could be done to make them more effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I was not excited about changing my research topic from bullying to academic interventions but then I began thinking about how the students on my campus perform academically and wondered about all the interventions that are done on my campus and if they are really effective. Can't wait to see how this research turns out.

      Delete
  2. My initial interest was the topic of bullying as well. My principal also suggested that I went in a direction of discipline instead. If bullying is something you'd still like to pursue, do it in a different activity. I plan to get involved with our visual annoucements and will began my make students aware from that medium. It may be something you'd like to consider; addressing the issue by involvement in something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would still like to pursue the topic of bullying. I think I will do it as an activity as one of my internship plan activities. Unfortunately, bullying was the number one issue on my campus last year.

      Delete
  3. I like your first topic. Sometimes I wonder if principals are concerned about the research topic being a reflection on them. However, your second topic concerning interventions may be enlightening. My school implemented a lot of interventions this past year, which included before and after school tutoring, one-on-one time during recess and activity periods, and online tutoring. We were determined to improve our scores. Sadly, our school's performance scores were unchanged. I really think our students were burn out. You can only push so hard. I hope I'm not discouraging you. I am interested in your findings. Good luck with your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with your statement about students being burned out. Sadly, because of standardized testing we are seeing teacher burn out as well. The pressure that is put on students and teachers are unbelievable. I hope that as a future administrator I can motivate and inspire teachers and students in hopes of helping them through the stress.

      Delete